Organising A Trinity Wedding | Trinity College, Melbourne

Organising a Trinity Wedding

Couples intending to marry in the Chapel are encouraged to visit and view the space by:

  • Attending one of the many services. The College recommends viewing at 6.00pm on Sundays during term when the Choral Evensong is conducted.

  • Making an appointment with the Chaplaincy Administrator for a viewing during business hours

Booking your wedding ceremony

A Wedding Booking form must be completed and lodged with Trinity's Chaplaincy Administrator by couples intending to marry in the Chapel.

When submitting the form, ensure you have satisfied the legal requirements for marriage, lodged the 'Notice of Intended Marriage' form with your celebrant, and decided on a date for your wedding in the Chapel. All booking forms must be counter-signed by the intended celebrant to confirm your proposed date and time.

Note that when more than one couple wants to marry in the Chapel at the same time, preference will be given to graduates, alumni, staff and students of Trinity College and the University of Melbourne, over people not otherwise associated with the College.

Wedding bookings are only considered firm when an application has been approved by Trinity College, and the couple receives confirmation of their booking.

Dates of any wedding rehearsal should be included in the booking form and checked with the Chaplaincy administrator.

Booking the organist and Trinity Choir

Couples may arrange for their choice of musicians and vocal soloists to perform at their wedding service at Trinity providing you ensure that their music is appropriate to the occasion and to Trinity Chapel as a place of worship.

Quotes for the services of our organist and choir can be negotiated with the chaplain. Contact the Chapel Administrator in the first instance. 

Additional costs will apply to the standard booking costs if the choir and organist are required to attend a wedding service rehearsal.

More information about the Choir of Trinity College 

Pre-wedding preparations

Choosing a celebrant

The College recommends that couples who wish to marry in the Trinity Chapel contact their celebrant and begin making their formal plans 6-12 months before their chosen wedding date.

Approval for a chosen Marriage Celebrant to conduct the ceremony in the Chapel must be sought from the Trinity College Chaplain as one of the first stages of wedding planning.

Preparation-for-marriage courses

The College strongly encourages couples to undertake a short marriage preparation course prior to the wedding. These courses have been demonstrated to result in fewer post-wedding problems, and are a valuable investment in the couple's future.

Trinity recommends a LifeWorks pre-marriage program.

Second marriages

I've you've already been married you need to seek permission from the Bishop to marry in an Anglican Church in the Diocese of Melbourne. Contact the Chaplain for more information. 

Legal requirements for marriage

To marry in Victoria or any other Australian state or territory, couples need to complete a Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) form and lodge it with the celebrant or minister who will perform the marriage ceremony. The NOIM must be lodged at least one calendar month plus one day (and no more than 18 months) before the date of the intended wedding.

Order of Service

Couples should prepare an Order of Service for their marriage ceremony in collaboration with the marriage celebrant.

The words of any hymn or other song to be sung during the service should be included within the Order of Service. It is important that copyright permission is obtained for all words reproduced in the Order of Service and for the use of any other words or musical works.

Words of hymns from the Chapel hymnbook, Together in song: the Australian Hymnbook II, may be reproduced in consultation with the Chaplaincy Administrator.

Trinity can print Orders of Service for a fee, if required.

Your wedding day


At every wedding ceremony there must be two witnesses who are required to sign the marriage certificate as evidence of their presence. Witnesses are usually selected from family members or friends, and must be at least 18 years of age.

Wedding ceremony rehearsal

Trinity advises couples to arrange a wedding ceremony rehearsal when the celebrant will go through the Order of Service with participants. This will help to make the procedures more familiar, and improve the confidence of participants on the wedding day.

The Chapel Verger will liaise with the celebrant regarding the service requirements, open the Chapel and attend the wedding rehearsal.

Couples should present their Australian Birth Certificates at the Chapel at the time of initial contact. If they are only able to produce an 'Extract of Entry', each of the parties should ensure they know the full names of both their parents (including the correct spelling), and the maiden names of each of the mothers. People who do not have an Australian Birth Certificate should bring a passport.


Couples who wish to decorate the Chapel for their wedding service should discuss their ideas and plans at the time of making a booking.


Ribbon and other pew decorations can be used. Tapes, tacks, staples, wire and abrasive materials however must not be used as they may cause damage to the historic chapel furniture.


Wedding flowers may be arranged with a florist chosen by the couple. The Chaplaincy Administrator must be advised of the flower delivery arrangements. Trinity College recommends Flowers Vasette of 247 Brunswick Street Fitzroy 3065, as the company is familiar with the Chapel.


Only the candles regularly in place in the sanctuary of the Chapel can be used. Altar candles will only be lit when communion is taken as part of the service, and choir candles will only be lit when the Choir is engaged for the service.


The official wedding photographer may discreetly take photos in the Chapel during and after the service, providing there is no interference with following services. Wedding guests are only permitted to take photographs inside the Chapel during signing the register.

If a wedding video is being prepared, the operator must stay in one place for the entire service and no additional lighting may be used.

Please note that the organ gallery is not available for use by photographers under any circumstances.


Guests should refrain from throwing confetti or rice inside the Chapel and in the forecourt.


There is no parking in the University and College grounds for wedding guests. Parking is available on Royal Parade and in nearby streets.

The Verger will arrange for bridal cars only to enter the College grounds and wait in the Chapel forecourt during the service.